Saturday, December 1, 2007

Green Santa

So, do you know your carbon footprint? Mine is around 21 tons of CO2/year. Guess I should pay some group $117.32 to "offset" it. Umm, yeah. Is it just me, or does this sound ridiculous? Allstate Green, carbonfund.org, "Green Santa" ... OK, haven't we taken this green thing far enough? Now, not like I've got anything for Santa or anything, but I liked him a lot better red. And maybe he wouldn't have to have such a thick layer of fat if the north pole ice cap began to melt. Maybe he could have a paved runway ... wouldn't that be less hazardous? I mean, if iced wings are dangerous on a plane, I hate to think of the hazards when we bring reindeer into the picture .

Let's be sensible people ... be good stewards, but keep a good head on your shoulders, too. Reduce, recycle, reuse when you can ... but pay carbonfund credits? I don't think so.

Addendum (12/3/07): SIL Ruth sent me the following news article that just shows the illogical conclusion this kinda thinking can take one to. I couldn't have imagined. Truth really is stranger than fiction.
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2007/11/survival_of_the_stupidest.html

1 comment:

Judi Hahn said...

I especially enjoyed reading the links (Green Santa -- is that for real? and survival-of-the-stupidest). Loved the line -- how many good books have the polar bears written? Good BLOG.