Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Like mother, like daughter

Just got back from the spelling bee. Mariah didn't win; nerves got the best of her. Ironically we all thought she had it, too. Republic. R-e-p-u-b-l-i-k. And I'd breathed a sigh of relief after the "l." But there is a purpose in everything, as there was a purpose in my spelling bee of 6th grade. My word was "cheese." I have always been nervous in front of people; in fact, only now is it getting somewhat manageable. Well, in my nervousness, I did the exact same thing: reverted to phonics. I will never forget that cheese (the kind humans should eat anyway) is most definitely NOT spelled with a "z," even though I knew it at the time. And I will also never forget the word that would have won the bee had I still been in it. Vacuum (2 u's). But if I would have won, would I have been able to console my daughter as well? At least some pressure was off her knowing this going in. And when she came out, she said, "Well, like mother, like daughter." I guess that could be considered a Mariahism. :) (She's fine, by the way, and she's got a good shot at it next year--it is 4th and 5th grade together.) We joked that the blog title could be “The Republik of Cheeze." Hmm. Sounds like a foreign B movie.

Speaking of B, on the bright side, her report card is great. All As and Bs--B+ avg. overall, and up from B avg. last quarter. So, no complaints there. Yep, we're proud of her.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, yes, this is a revelation from an editor and an English major: I was runner up in my fourth grade spelling bee because I misspelled field (F-E-I-L-D). But, hey, I've remembered it since.

The Lady of the Holler said...

My "out" word (does that sound bad?) was business. Only 1 s the first time--not two.