Friday, October 9, 2009

Haiku of the week

I have been challenged to use "tubes" as the subject of my haiku this week. I happen to have a good story that this gives me the opportunity to tell:

Tubes Tied Test

Fertilization:
occurs in the Eustachian
or Fallopian?

Answer
If you carefully
read your Biology test,
answer "oviduct."

Problem
Don't pick the answer
that first says "tube," not reading,
or embarrassed be.
(and possibly have a bad earache!!)

This is based on a true story of my Biology AP class in high school. Having gotten back my test and going through the answers, I noted that I'd gotten wrong one that I knew I had correct. I raised my hand to ask why I'd gotten it wrong. Thankfully, before the teacher called on me, I learned my mistake and lowered my hand (chuckling to myself). I had checked "eustachian tube" for where fertilization took place, not being careful and intending to have picked "fallopian tube," which was not an option because "oviduct" was the correct alternative answer. I did still get an A on that test, however. :)

6 comments:

Laceys said...

Toilet paper tubes
Are a good bit shorter than
Paper towel tubes.

For next week I think
You should write a new haiku
About potatoes.

Judi Hahn said...

Subway tubes are long and
noisy and very smelly.
They serve a purpose.

Judi Hahn said...

Except for an exercise in futility in 11th grade, I haven't written anything Haiku-ish. I know my contribution sort of sucks, but at least I thought of a tube :).

The Lady of the Holler said...

Tubes of meat are gross
I won't buy another one
Tubed hamgurger bad

Laceys said...

How about turkey?
Ground turkey comes in tubes, too.
Mask taste with cream soup.

Who knew that haiku
Was so educational
Good place to leave hints

Laceys said...

Haiku seems to me
Twitter kind of poetry
Few words, 'nuff said.